Soak Up The Culture
• Helsinki is easily explored on foot, roaming through the unique design and architecture, weaving in and out of contemporary hubs of culture like the Central Library and Station.
• To discover the true Finnish way of life, indulge in a sauna, the lifeblood used for spiritual healing and cleansing. The building Löyly is as intriguing from the inside as from the outside, with eye-catching décor housing a smoke sauna, wood-heated saunas and an opening out onto the sea to take a refreshing dip.
• Contrast is the main ingredient in Finnish culture, so once you’ve experienced the modern capital, immerse yourself in the traditional way of life in the mythical area of Lapland. Here, you can meet the Sámi, Finland’s indigenous people, and join in their festivals and celebrations.
Tastes to Try
• The appreciation of simplicity transcends through Finnish cuisine, with clean, local and sustainable ingredients used.
• In Lapland, cloudberries, reindeer, lichen and other wild foods are the taste of the region, while in Helsinki, Restaurant Day is a celebration of Nordic cuisine. The local people sample dishes from pop-up restaurants.
• Must-try foods are: Karjalanpiirakka, a savoury pastry; Grillmakkara, a grilled sausage eaten with mustard and washed down with beer; or Ruisleipä, a rye bread which is staple to the Finnish diet.
• To truly enjoy the snow-covered area of Lapland, head to the capital, Rovaniemi, and enter a winter wonderland, where museums exploring the history of the area are interspersed in ski resorts and ice buildings.
• With around 75 ski resort in Finland, hills make up the sweeping slopes and steep falls, in the season which runs from October to May. From wide, easy slopes to challenging, world-class runs all family members can indulge in some light and snowy relief while learning or improving a skill.
• For a slightly warmer adventure, the 40 national parks of Finland offer kayaking, cycling and hiking opportunities all offering contrasting viewpoints to spectacular nature. To witness true beauty, head to the labyrinthine Archipelago Sea, with more islands than any other archipelago in the world.
Good to know
- TimeDifference: UTC +2
- Capital: Helsinki
- Currency: Euro